9:14 PM

My Heidi


     It had been maybe five years since I saw "Heidi", as I named my little Bouyei waif from Guizhou Province.  I heard that a little tot across the way was being neglected, so I went over and arranged to take her into our family part time.  She loved it, I loved it, her parents loved it-- hard to say who was happiest.  When teaching English, I just took her along.  Then sickness took the family suddenly back to Guizhou, and left a hole in my life and hers.  She would often tell her mother that her "other mama" was better to her than she.  But never was there a chance to meet again....until our final day in THP, I got off the bus just as her father walked by!  Instantly, I seized the opportunity, which I realized was God's split-second timing---and told him to bring his children over as soon as they got out of school.   The family all came and we met the little brother for the first time.  We let them choose all the  toys they wanted, and they stuffed bags full!  I knew Heidi still remembered me when she looked at me to say "Thank you, Mama!"  (I was always "Mama" to her.)  We had shared the Gospel with the  mother before, but now Frank was able to share with the whole family, and they seemed responsive, saying that many from their Bouyei tribe have believed.  We will plan to visit them again.
      We had to get rid of lots of stuff from THP, and some things like the washer were just what Dorcas and Baby Mengyun were needing.  We took turns entertaining Mengyun, who is about to cut teeth at two and a half months!  Born at 42 weeks, she is unusually big and advanced for her age, and I expect  she'll soon be driving the little car we  gave her at her father's eager request.  

      The Lord used some self-examination questions by Fletcher to draw me nearer and bring new victory, which is such rest in the midst of conflict!   I am thankful for all our wonderful literature, a great blessing, even if we lack places to put all our books, especially now we have lost one house.  That is one matter of prayer, which I am awaiting God's pleasure on.
     Do we celebrate Christmas?  (Question # 1 to address).  In China the general rule is that the "official" government- approved church does (and Santa is big just like in every city) and the house churches don't, due to its pagan roots.  We love to sing the carols, and take every wonderful chance the season brings to proclaim the Gospel.  Our best Christmases were one where we told the Christmas story to a large group of deaf children at a deaf school, and  one spent helping at the orphanage where we were rewarded with first smiles from several deprived babies.   We can't help missing treasured traditions, though....and so usually what is substituted is a "Thanksgiving program" each church anticipates.
     Feeling concern for our family, especially the frailer, lonelier members we have had to leave, weighs on us ; but we are so thankful for those who have stepped up and helped out in any way.  May each be doubly blessed!  We are so endebted to the saints.....and miss 'em, too!

0 comments: