12:57 AM

Below Zero

This morning we rose to the challenge of frozen water pipes. That makes you appreciate running water more....and also spring, which should have a firm foothold in a couple of weeks.

I was reminded that my countrymen are living in an obamanation, when a man approached as I walked, and commented, "Obama has got in." Responding, I was trying to both nod and shake my head. "Obama hao (good)!" he told me. Moments later as his figure retreated I could hear, "Obama, chuckle-chuckle! Obama!"

We are hiding out in the company hotel from the disruptive din of the Lunar New Year Celebration. Yes, they've banned firecrackers in Hangzhou this year..... but enforcing the ban is a whole different story. Last night a deafening round of detonations disturbed our domestic tranquility. The fireworks are fine, of course, -- pretty, and interesting to count how many different spots are setting them off simultaneously......often more than a dozen. But millions of firecrackers turn the city into a horrible battlefield scene. I don't care if I never hear another (and I'm hearing some as I speak.) Well, they 're having a blast.....

We had a sumptious supper with Scarlett's family. Her dad, 66, has recovered nicely from the skiing trip, (which I am sure was his first), and listened more openly to the Gospel than ever before. We just finished looking at the video of Christian's and Annelisa's baptism, and Scarlett told Tony that when he gets baptized, she will film it. Christian is talking to Scarlett's brother, a prodigal who was transformed a few years ago, but has fallen away.

Family news has been scarce for some time, except we heard Annelisa's beloved puppy in Idaho was eaten of coyotes :o and Frank's niece got married minus a wedding (unusual for middle class....we were surprised.) There are a number of family members I'm very concerned about, and praying to hear good reports from. Good news from a far country is always refreshing (well, good news is harder to come by than just news, true; yet faith sees GOOD NEWS opportunities in dark circumstances.)

0 comments: