12:59 AM

Quotes for Today

     Here is a quote I ran across:  "America, you have aborted your children, now your children will abort you."  That's clear enough, and I wonder..... what of China with the cry of its abandoned unborn? 

      On a different note, I've been researching a little on some heroes of the past, and want to ask if any of you have, or have read, a book about Ernest George Fenton Hall, a WW1  fighter pilot turned missionary to the Amazon Indians of Brazil...a "corn of wheat" that early " fell into the ground and died".   I would like to read his journals. 

     All I have been able to find  was one quote, which indicates something about his character:  I have sometimes a sort of fear,"Well, if I surrender everything I know to him, I won't have anything left to surrender!"  (Speaking, of course, about things spiritual, points in which we find ourselves not surrendered.)  But somehow there always seems to be something new to give Him, and when you get into the habit of it, there's nothing so joyful as hauling out some skulking Agag and hewing him in pieces before the Lord (it sounds a bit bloodthirsty, but I'm sure Samuel enjoyed it--even if Agag didn't!)  Well, anyhow, these  " Agags"  have nothing to be said for them.  They are a bad old crew.  Many of them are very moral and respectable Agags.  Some of them are very laudable and pious Agags.  But all of them are kings of Amalek--Amalek, the flesh, the first enemy that attacks God's people when they escape from Egypt!"
      Highly interesting is the account I have just read of William Threfall (Born 6-6-1799), a Methodist missionary martyr.  I must give his testimony as a 17 year old:  I verily found that I was altogether unlike God; and that it was impossible for me to live or die happy except my sins were pardoned, and my soul converted from a  love of sin to a love of God.  I thought if any were reprobated to that place "where their worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched" I was surely one of them.  I was often led to wish I had never been born or had died in infancy.  I frequently strove to stifle my sensibility of danger by associating with the gay and careless, or by reading plays and novels. This had the effect of hardening my heart and darkening my mind.  It was the way to endless ruin; it led me farther and farther away from God and from happiness.  But still I knew there was a day fast approaching, a day of trial which I could not escape; and this was a sting to all my sinful pleasures and foolish diversions, even when my companions thought me the most jovial of the party.  But the Lord called a relative at a few minutes' notice into the invisible world to give account to his Maker.  This awful providence had a powerful effect upon my mind.  I thought, "If the Lord were to call me to account suddenly, I am sure to perish for ever and ever.  my feelings were aroused and I began to pray..."if I am not indeed out of the reach of Thy mercy, look down upon me and save me, for if you call me hence I shall be lost to all eternity.  If Thou canst, soften my heart, break down my pride, subdue my stubborn will, and make me a new creature..."  I was much tempted to give up praying, but I thought again "I cannot but hope there may still be mercy; therefore I will never cease praying and if I perish, I perish."   My heart still hard, I heard a sermon on the Prodigal Son.  I thought his prayer would just suit me.  When the preacher came to speak of the compassion of the Father, I could hold out no more for weeping, my hardness gave way, and my soul was dissolved in penitential tenderness.  While he spoke of the love of God to poor sinners, my soul was set at liberty.  I felt and saw God was reconciled....He was my Friend; neither was I afraid for the Lord was my Refuge and Strength.
     The next year he wrote in his journal :"I dedicate myself afresh to the great I Am this solemn moment for Thee to live and for thee to die. William Threfall age 18 years and 18 days."   In Africa near the end of his short, adversity-packed life, he wrote:  "As I have rejoiced in past perils, I go triumphant to meet my future foes.  My way is clear, my victory is sure.  Like the Hebrew children, I cannot be burned."  With what courage he faced martyrdom!  There is much in this account of blessing for youth (and the rest of us).  Do you identify with any of this?  God has not changed;  The God of Elijah (who answers by fire!), of the three Hebrew children and of William Threfall (and countless other victors) still lives!  












0 comments: